Saturday, February 2, 2008

Making Right Sense

I have a wide variety of interests that I like to read, think and write about: the economy, conservatism, capitalism, global warming, fitness, energy, positive thinking and other things. I'm not sure if my views are unpopular, or if "the other side" is just more vocal. I suspect that (to borrow a phrase) there is a "silent majority" of people that agree with many of my ideas. The purpose of this blog is to throw some things out there and see what comes back.

Knowing that I'm gullible causes me to be sceptical. I tend to understand and appeal to the logical argument more than the emotional, but I realize the power of an emotional argument, and understand that a strong emotional/weak logical argument will most of the time win out over the weak emotional/strong logical argument.

Most of my views are from a strong conservative viewpoint, leading me to select the name of this blog. I don't have any fantasy of being able to "convert" others to my way of thinking, but I've found that by reading and listening to other viewpoints and then expressing my own, I clarify my own ideas and values to myself. Many times after going through the arguments completely, I'll surprise myself and find myself agreeing with the opposing view. Changing one's values after critical thinking is not being wishy-washy as long as you admit to yourself and others that you have changed your opinion and can describe the reasons for it.

A local radio talk-show host likes to ask callers where they sit before they talk about where they stand. So here goes.

You already know that I'm a conservative. Much more so fiscally speaking, but socially as well.

I am a strong capitalist. I believe that, in most cases, Government should stay out of the way of business. I think that the creation of wealth is not evil, but is necessary for a healthy society.

I think that people who believe humans are the main cause of global warming are wrong. Most of that belief comes from the type of arguments (emotional) that are used by those who think "carbon footprint".

I'm in my mid 50's and I've gone from a very active lifestyle, to sedintary, and then back to active again. I've recently lost over 40 pounds through walking and a slight modification to my diet. I feel younger today than I did 5 years ago, and I'm wearing pant with waist sizes that I haven't worn in 30 years!

I am facinated by alternative energy--from an economical and self-sustaining perspective instead of one of "save-the-planet". I am most interested in energy usage, hydrogen, solar, and energy storage (batteries and ultra-capacitors).

Finally, I am a big advocate of positive thinking. I think too many of us "allow" things to happen to us, or allow ourselves to react to things in a certain way. I think we can change our future by visualizing how we would like it to be.

I don't think that I will be making daily entries into this blog. I have a fairly busy schedule and I like to stay active doing things. But occasionally, I'll read or hear something that really peaks my interest and I'll want to write about it to get a better understanding of it myself. You are welcome to comment on my thoughts, ideas and values.

No comments: